The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Disgusted that I ever was a fan

Go down 
+9
Sharabella
luvthatgerryjuice
pamelajane
sami_stardust
Dallas
LegoJulie
Appilonia G. MontiNegro
DonnaKat
kayanne
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Sharabella wrote:
but he has always shown all the all-boys-club sensitivity of a just-learning-about-sex 12 year old.
That's it, exactly! Peter Pan Syndrome with no editing.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, Kay. This is something that I've mentioned long before and I always felt like others outside this group thought I was overreacting. Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't.

It's sad that ignorance has to be a joke. An intelligent person would know how to make others laugh without offense.

Yeah, sure, we know the man is crass, rude, etc. I don't find that attractive. I find that problematic. Maybe it works in Hollywood, but it doesn't work in the real world.

Hugs to you all.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Hugs Alice! I love you Hugs EVERY-Y'ALL!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:31 am

Hey Alice! I have been wondering about you! I hope you are well!
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 3:45 am

Hi ladies. Is this the latest?

Bloody men. Can't live with them, can't kill them.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 9:17 am

Men are okay. Boys are the problem.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 10:40 am

I agree with Julie. There are so FEW men around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:09 am

And true "gentlemen" are even harder to find.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:38 am

I have several things to say on this thread so hold onto your knickers.

Firstly, what a blessing it is that a discussion can be had, on this topic, in such a respectful way. It really is a sign that we're all adults and with similar sensibilities.

Next, and this may sting, I am neither laughing at nor offended by his joke. Some of you may not understand why that is so but my reason is quite simple.

His opinions on topics such as politics, the weather, Sudan's PLA etc. mean little to me. Therefore, quid pro quo, his opinion on Christ, his struggles and ultimate sacrifice means little to me. My opinion (and those of people who I like, know and admire) on those topics is more relevant.

Whether that makes me cold, detached or just practical, I'm not sure.

But one thing I can agree on - it wasn't funny.
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 5:00 pm

You can never be cold, Nay. Well thought out post. And you're right...GB's opinion means nothing to me either, but the fact that it was said turned me off to him and anything having to do with him. And like I said before, I'm here for the great people on this site and will be proud to continue to be so. I love you
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 am

I know this is kind of an old topic at this point, but I was waiting until I had the time to tackle it because it's an important one.

First of all, I want to echo Donna's comments and say I also wish I could have heard the joke myself and in its complete context.

Second of all, since I'm inclined to think it most likely did happen, let me say I was also disgusted with the joke. It's not that I think religion and humor can't go together from time to time. I truly believe God has a sense of humor. But there's a limit. To me this test is usually whether or not I feel like a religious joke is intended to laugh WITH God or to laugh AT Him. This is purely a subjective test on my part based on my own perceptions of a joke.

Having said that, I don't think that test really helps me figure this situation out too much. I don't think for the most part Gerry was really laughing at OR with God. I think it more just boils down to that it was a vulgar joke about something sacred. Someone crossing the line and wildly misjudging what would be funny or appropriate. I agree with some of the comments y'all have made about why it offended you. I too see images of Jesus nailed to a cross and think of the horrific torture and death he sustained in an act of love. Therefore, to use that graphic and profound image in a vulgar joke was just so disappointing.

I have thought a lot about how I feel about Gerry after this. Yes, I am ashamed of Gerry for telling this joke (if it's true this actually happened or in the way the poster described, I really wish we could see for ourselves). I was disillusioned with him for a little bit.

Now, my perspective is this. While he should be ashamed of himself for the joke and exercised such poor judgement in telling it, especially while promoting a movie where Christianity is a central part of the story, I've decided I don't want to give up on the guy.

Sometimes it's easy to only look at his screw-ups. What I feel is getting lost in the scandal of all this is the fact that this man spent a year researching and portraying a preacher, his faith, his redemption, his cause, and immersed himself in order to tell a story that champions faith and its power to transform a person. Which tells me in my gut instinct, Gerry, at least on some level, has a respect for faith and what it did in this man's life, regardless of whether or not he agrees with everything Childers has done. It is not too often that Hollywood puts a movie out there that shows Christianity so openly without mocking it in the process. I think Gerry deserves a little credit for putting his heart and soul into this movie. That says more to me about his overall true heart and character (possibly, I don't know him, this is just an instinct) than a moment of stupidity on a talk show where he thought a joke was funny and appropriate to tell that wasn't.

Although I respect and agree with the anger and offense behind it, I don't agree with the idea of boycotting this movie in an attempt to punish Gerry or hold him accountable for his joke.

This movie is bigger than Gerry Butler. This movie shows faith in a positive light. And it gets the message out about an important cause that is really going on in the life of the real man and the people he helps, Sam Childers. I would hate to see this movie fail when it can do so much good. (I know I haven't actually seen the movie, but I think there's a good chance it is everything I've come to gather about the content, focus, etc.)

Just my two cents. (Actually, it was more like five cents. I know I get wordy. LOL) Like Nay, I agree about how great it is that we get to have a voice on this forum. We may disagree sometimes, but all opinions are valid and respected. Y'all are a special group of ladies. I love you
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:13 am

Bravo Emily!

Hopefully he is a little ashamed and hopefully Ferguson's admonition of the joke gave him pause. It may have been another case of the disease called foot-in-mouth but who really knows. My point is: I had assumed all along that the joke was not actually against or towards Christ but more at women.

Not much will stop me from seeing this movie (particularly after my own visit to east Africa) but I also acknowledge and respect Kayanne's, and anyone else's, right to choose.
Back to top Go down
Peege88
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
Peege88

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 7:16 pm

I don't know quite what to add here, so maybe I won't just yet.

I will say this: I am very glad to have found Donna and this site, and you ladies. You guys are the best! Intelligent, witty, articulate and fun~ I love love the banter.

Wouldn't trade y'all for anything. And, I feel at home here. Cherish the witticisms and insights and count you among my friends Smile

It's a shame Gerry has to be so dang immature and insensitive at times. From his frathouse behavior to his sometimes unnecessary aggressiveness to his vuglarity....sometimes it is too much and I find myself disappointed. Majorly.

But, there again, I'm willing to give him yet another shot. I suppose I don't think he's all bad, but shoot, sometimes he just doesn't think!

You all were much more articulate in your insights and opinions, so I guess I will leave it at that.

Thanks for being you and for being here. It's always been and will be a pleasure!
~amanda
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Peege88
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 pm

You know, I want to say that I think most of us have a great sense of humor. DK is one of my favs when it comes to funny people and I laugh along side her jokes.

I can just hear people saying, "Oh, he was just joking, can't you take a joke?" (yikes, just heard my sister's voice whenever she'd joke around and I'd get upset...it really wasn't funny, it was rude).

I love good jokes, clever jokes, and relevant jokes.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Peege88
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
Peege88

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 11:19 am

Yes.

And now that I have watched the video on You Tube with the offensive joke edited out, it seems like Gerry was taken aback a bit...like "what did I do"? as if he really didn't realize his error.

And still he did not apologize.

I'm sure like mentioned earlier, the joke was more sexual in nature. Goofball just needs to think before opening his trap.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Peege88
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks for your kind words for the site, Amanda. I have to say it is really great to see you here. Post more often! I like reading what you think.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Nay wrote:
Bravo Emily!

Thank you, Nay! Smile

Peege88 wrote:
But, there again, I'm willing to give him yet another shot. I suppose I don't think he's all bad, but shoot, sometimes he just doesn't think!

That kind of sums up what I was trying to say too, Amanda. Yet again, great minds think alike!

Peege88 wrote:
You all were much more articulate in your insights and opinions, so I guess I will leave it at that.

Never sell yourself short like this. Your comments are just as articulate and appreciated as ours. Very Happy

Nay wrote:
Thanks for your kind words for the site, Amanda. I have to say it is really great to see you here. Post more often! I like reading what you think.

Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 381961
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disgusted that I ever was a fan   Disgusted that I ever was a fan - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disgusted that I ever was a fan
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Gerry Shout Out! :: General Gerry-
Jump to: